So, even after doing the drill religiously – washing the makeup before hitting the bed, applying moisturizer daily, and drinking loads of water, signs of aging have started to appear? Why? What mistake(s) could have been the reason behind it? Check the list and solve the mystery
- Pulling the Corner of the Eyes While Applying Eyeliner – Winged liner looks perfect, but not on sagging skin! Pulling the delicate skin around the corner of the eyes is a crime one can’t afford to commit. Too much pulling results in distorted blood vessels, early onset of fine lines and wrinkles. The solution is to buy a better, gliding liner instead of liners that require too much pulling or tugging action.
- Not Realizing ‘Less is More’ – Daily, using a makeup remover, face wash, moisturizer, toner, face oils, serum, under-eye cream, anti-aging cream, sunscreen, and whatnot… It sounds like a recipe for disaster! Many skin experts have revealed that using too many products does more harm than good in the long run.
Associate clinical professor of dermatology at the Yale School of Medicine, Dr. Mona Gohara, says that one of the biggest mistakes people make in pursuit of perfect skin is not realizing that less is more. “They throw all these different products on themselves, which can irritate the skin and cause inflammation.” So, what’s the alternative? To use tried and tested products that genuinely work. Dr. Mona recommends using products with ingredients like SPF, retinol, and antioxidants.
- Not Applying Sunscreen 15-20 Minutes Before Leaving the House – People pull out their sunscreens when they are in the sun! What’s the point of that? Sunscreens only work when one has applied them at least 15-30 minutes before heading out in the sun. That way, they get absorbed in the skin, creating a shield against the harmful UV rays. Skipping sunscreen while being in the car is also a pretty big mistake. In the US, most people get skin cancer on the left side of their bodies. This fact alone says a lot about skipping the sunscreen while driving!
- Organic Doesn’t Necessarily Mean Better – When it comes to food, yes, that’s the rule! But as far as skincare is concerned, organic doesn’t necessarily mean better. Assuming something is better and would help you get rid of fine lines and wrinkles just because it comes with the ‘organic’ tag is kind of silly. Sometimes people who have come up with all these eco-friendly, organic brands themselves have no clue what they are trying to sell. So, do the necessary homework and only after being very sure, buy a natural product meant for anti-aging.
- Removing Eye Makeup Harshly – It’s vital to remove the eye makeup before sleeping, but harshly doing that is only going to make things worse. As mentioned earlier, the skin around the eyes is extremely delicate and sensitive, and if one is treating this area rather aggressively, the onset of wrinkles and crows feet is merely inevitable.
- Sleeping on the Stomach – Yes, even gravity is an enemy to someone who’s trying to fight the signs of aging! Sleeping on the stomach is a sure-shot way of inviting sleep-induced fine lines and wrinkles. It is advised to rest flat on the back (not even sides) and to use satin or silk pillow covers since they aren’t harsh on the skin.
- Becoming a Cleaning Freak! – Some people make it their life’s mission to get rid of every particle of dirt, grease, and grime from their skin as soon as they see soap (in any form) and water. In their quest to become too clean, people end up being too harsh on their skin. It cost them their skin’s natural suppleness and radiance. Using a harsh solution, thinking it’ll clean the skin completely, is a huge mistake. After some time, one notices that their skin has become dry and lifeless. That’s because the harsh solution has stripped the skin of its natural oils.
- Not Giving Products Enough Time to Prove Their Actual Worth – So many people do this – they buy a new product, use it for a few days or weeks, and when the results aren’t as impressive as they thought they’d be, they toss the product away. The thing is, some products show results only when they’ve been used for at least a couple of months or so. There’s nothing wrong with these products! In fact, some of the best anti-aging products that are currently ruling the market, are known to show results in approx 2-3 months’ time. So, give new products enough time, allowing them to prove their actual worth.
- Counting on Just a Single Product – No, this point isn’t contradicting the ‘less is more’ policy! What we meant by ‘don’t rely on a single product’ is – include healthy eating, sleeping, and exercising habits into your daily routine to look younger and more youthful. There’s no single cream or serum that can help anyone get rid of all his/her skincare woes.
- Putting Strain on the Eyes All the Time – The first sign of aging usually appears in the form of fine lines around the eyes. Who’s to blame for this? All the hours one has spent in front of their laptop and phone screen! It is recommended to sit at least one and a half feet away from your computer’s screen. Also, try to sit in the right posture ensuring a minimum amount of strain is put on your neck and shoulders. Take breaks every 30-45 minutes and do simple stretches whenever it’s possible.
- Skipping the Eye Exam – If a person’s vision isn’t properly corrected by glasses or contact lenses, furrow lines around the eyes can appear well before they usually appear on people’s faces. So, no matter what, don’t skip the annual eye exam for any reason.
- Smoking – It’s been recently determined that more than 42 million people in America smoke cigarettes on a regular basis. Well, if you are someone who wants to look young and wrinkle-free, quit smoking as soon as possible since smoking cigarettes causes the skin to lose its natural elasticity and firmness. Nicotine in cigarettes narrows the blood vessels, impairing the flow of blood. Thus, causing irreversible damage to skin tissues.
Say b-bye to these 12 bad habits and notice a visible difference in how your skin looks and feels. Quitting some of these bad habits will show beautiful results almost immediately, while others will take some time. But by making sure you aren’t committing any of these crimes, what you’ll get is – younger-looking, radiant and supple skin, with no stubborn wrinkles or fine lines!